Fruits of the Forest & Frangipane Tart
This tart has a buttery, crumbly crust, a very smooth and flavourful filling made by mixing crème pâtissière and almond paste and is topped of with a sweet and sour mix of berries. You could use any kind of fruit, however I personally like the sharpness from some of the berries that cuts thriugh the sweetness of the frangipane filling.
- 45g icing sugar
- 120g butter (at room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk
- 150g flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100ml milk
- 1/8 vanilla pod
- 18g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 12g flour
- 50g sugar
- 55g butter (at room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 65g ground almonds
- 1 tsp rum (or vanilla extract)
- 120g fruits of the forest (eg. strawberries, raspberries, blacckberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants)
- a handful of sliced almonds
makes one 18cm ø tart (for 24cm ø tart double the ingredients)
- Start by preparing the sweet pastry (pâte sucrée). Beat the butter together with the icing sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer (hand held or standing). Add the egg yolk and beat at medium speed until combined. Now add the flour and salt and mixed only until just combined. If you're using a hand held mixer it might be easier mising in the flour using a spatula. Shape the pastry into a disc and wrap it in cling flim, leaving it to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours or over night.
- For the crème pâtissière mix together sugar, egg yolk and flour with 2 tablespoons of the milk in a small bowl using fork. Pour the remaining milk into a small saucepan. Scrape out the seeds of the piece of vanilla pod and add to the milk. Heat the milk. Just before it starts to boil, pour about 2 more tablespoons into the egg yolk mix and stir well. Pour everything back into the saucepan, and stir well using a whisk until it the cream thickens. Take the pan off the stove, pour the cream into small bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to cool in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- To make the almond paste beat the sugar and butter in a bowl with an electric mixer (again either handheld or standing). Then add the egg and beat at medium speed until combined. Don't worry if it looks a bit curdled; this can happen but won't ruin your tart. Now add the ground almonds and mix them in at low speed, then add the rum (or vanilla extract). Finally add the crème pâtissière and mix until just combined. This is your frangipane filling.
- Grease the tart mould with a bit of butter and then dust it with flour, tapping it afterwards so all the excess flour comes out. Take the sweet pastry out of the fridge and knead it until it's just pliable. Dust your work surface with a little bit of flour. Roll the pastry out using a rolling pin and as little flour as possible. Line the tart mould with the pastry cutting off the excess at the border.
- Now fill the frangipane into the tart mould, Sprinkle the fruits of the forest over the frangipane and the flaked almonds around the border.
- Bake at 170°C (fan oven) for about 30-35 minutes. Leave the tart in the mould to cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy this tart while it's still warm or leave it to cool entirely.